Friday, July 24, 2009

Been a While...

Ok, so it's been a while since I posted in here. Mostly because I've been busy, but also because I just haven't had a lot to say that isn't venting about my job. But I am really proud and excited about some of the stuff coming up. We're hosting a banquet for my Taekwondo instructor, Dan Thor, to celebrate his service to the community and our region, not to mention his testing for his 8th degree black belt, on August 1st, with a fun tournament during the day and a banquet in the evening. It's been a lot of hard work, and I don't always like the way some of the others who are on the planning committee handle things, but I think it will go off beautifully. There will be a silent auction, guests coming in from several places, along with family and friends of Senior Master Thor, a picture/video presentation, and some gifts and presentations to be made. I'm also working hard, debating whether I want to participate in our fun tournament, and preparing myself to try a midterm toward my 4th degree in March at the Winter Nationals in Las Vegas, NV. I'm really proud of a lot of our students this testing cycle as well. We have some really young ones who would normally be in our pre-school class, Tiny Tigers, but who we decided to move up to Karate for Kids, which is a bit more demanding, and designed for slightly older children, and they've handled it beautifully. One doesn't really realize how much capacity to learn and focus and remember a five year old child has until you see some of these kids. They struggle a bit, they get nervous, they forget, but they test and they pass in the end, and I couldn't be more proud. I get just as anxious every testing as they do, praying that they'll be able to hold it together, and cheering as loud as any of the parents when they succeed, being there to console and reassure if they fail.


My most recent picture from TKD, which we get done every year. I ordered them this year because I finally got my black collar, which means I'm a fully certified instructor. I like how my sidekick came out, and also how the pose with the sword looks.

No comments: