Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend, and I was especially happy to spend time with my family. All my dad's siblings were there, and almost all of my cousins, and as always we had a wonderful meal. I got to spend some time with my nina (for those who don't know, that means my godmother, in Spanish) and also with my own godson. He's six years old now, and much more willing to actively spend time with people he doesn't see a lot. I played video games with him (I do wish he hadn't gotten into video games or been given a DS so young, but oh well) and also took him to a movie. We went to see Bolt, and he's such a good little boy, he was quiet and well-behaved. About halfway through the movie, he leaned his head on my shoulder, and I asked if he wanted to sit with me. So he crawled into my lap and I held him for the whole movie. Not that he was tired, or scared, he just likes to be cuddled, and is very affectionate. It made me feel so happy to be close to him and have him know that I love him and want to be a part of his life.

Another big family event that happened this weekend is that we had a dinner to celebrate my grandparents' 50th anniversary. The whole family went out for a dinner, we were all dressed up, and we all got up to make toasts and whatnot. Most of us were moved to tears, and my grandma was sobbing long before we were finished. Also, my godson was adorable there, too, he was dressed up in his tie and sport coat, and we told him he looked like a little politician, that we would be voting for him for president in a few years. I got an adorable picture of him on my phone holding his hands up in two peace signs like Richard Nixon.

I've also got some good news with regard to the misery of my job situation. Myself and several of my coworkers have been feeling bullied and treated badly in general by our company for quite some time, and I've been looking around for a new job. I had a couple of prospective ones, one for REA, the local electric company, and another for an organization called Team Builders, which does one on one counseling and support for kids with emotional problems or learning disabilities. Both of them are very promising, and depending on what I hear about the one from REA tomorrow, I should be out of there at the latest by the end of the month. Hopefully sooner though, since the place and the treatment really does make me feel miserable. I've actually had days where I've sat at my desk and cried because of the way they treat us. The hardest part is that until I do get a new job I'm supposed to just suck it up and deal with it, unless I want to be out of work and not be able to pay my bills this month.

I've also decided where I want to go back to school, and that I'm going to wait another year before I do so. I'm actually very impatient to go back to school, but I want to give myself the best chance to apply and get in to the school I want to go to, so I'm going to take the time to study and take the GREs, and also to do the writing I'll need as part of my application. I'll also have more time to save money and get rid of more of my debts, which will also help in the long run. It's still frustrating, but I think I'm making the right decision.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving. I love how close you are to all your extended family - both in proximity but in the strength of your relationships, too. It's really special.

Good luck with the job situation. I'll send you an email (hopefully in a few minutes here) to see what the latest is.

Hilary said...

Sounds like a good weekend all around. Also glad to hear it looks like there is light at the end of the job tunnel.