Monday, March 2, 2009

Twilight

I've just finished reading the second book in the Twilight series, and thus far here are my opinions on the subject. From the standpoint of a literature major I can understand some of the draw of these books to a certain age group or mind set, but by and large I really wish they weren't available to young girls and boys in particular for a few specific reasons. There will be *SPOILERS* in this blog, so stop here if you don't wish to be spoiled about the end of the books.

First of all, I was very displeased by the portrayal of the two main characters. Bella is downright frustrating, and her constant whining and moping and bemoaning her lot in life makes hearing the story from her perspective much less enjoyable than if it had been from perhaps a 3rd person perspective. Also, her constant "damsel in distress" issues were downright disgusting, and even when she did finally get the "perfect" guy, she moaned and fussed and worried more because she felt she didn't deserve him. No self confidence whatsoever, and also willing to be dominated, manipulated, and controlled by said "perfect" guy, even to the point of putting herself in physical danger just so that he can show up and save her. Not at all a good example to any girl, giving the impression that one needs a man to be "complete" and going into a severe depression if the man leaves. Also irritating was that she never seemed able to do anything for herself.

Now on to our "perfect" guy. Edward, a vegetarian vampire who is over a hundred years old, is the very picture of emo melodrama. He's so theatrical about his reactions to Bella in any sense with his overblown emotional responses that it's almost no wonder she reacts the way she does. Then, he is secretive (for good reason, but that's still not healthy to that extent in any relationship) manipulative, and controlling with her. Many parents like this series because the two of them don't actually have sex until they marry, but I would say whether they're having sex or not, if he's spending every night in her room staring at her while she sleeps, that's still beyond disturbingly creepy. Stalker much? And God only knows what he's thinking while he sits there, between wanting to eat her and wanting to screw her. Pardon my crudeness, but in terms of healthy relationships, this is like a manual on how not to do it, terrible example for young people.

On to some other characters. One of the more enjoyable characters in the series (aside from Edward's family, who are by and large a lot more fun than he is, especially Emmett, who cracked me up) is young werewolf Jacob Black, who steps in as friend and perhaps more to fill the void when Edward up and leaves and Bella falls into her depression. While he is also understandably secretive and a bit controlling (both he and Edward describe Bella as a "danger magnet" which is a somewhat apt description, and both are somewhat controlling for the purpose of keeping her safe) he is a much more open and honest person, and much more likeable than the aloof and somewhat snobby Edward. Unfortunately, as I've heard tell, he gets a personality transplant that seems to come from Edward's side of things, and of course, the guy who actually deserves the girl gets beaten by the snob.

These are not books I'd let my child read at any age, and I actually am debating whether to read the rest, since they never seem to fail to make me angry and irritable. The emotions are over the top and gag-worthy, and in terms of writing, it's barely on par with trashy romance. I like supernatural fiction by and large, but the vampires, while broken from the traditional mold to a great degree, are like a razor coated in sugar: making them "vegetarians" is just putting a pretty cover on what they really are, which is creatures who feed on others to sustain themselves. They are bloodsuckers. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have the werewolf, so much more appealing, and in general so much more personable. Updates if I decide to read more of them.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Oh c'mon - why stop now when it only gets better? /snide sarcasm

The issues you have with these books are similar to my own, and if you are this annoyed now, you'll be moreso if you continue as the concerns just get worse (more manipulation and control on the side of the guys, more idiocy on the side of the girl).

I can see why these books are addicting and to some extent, I understand the obsession with them. But, I don't think they are appropriate for kids, just as you said. I find that the underlying sexual tones in the novel aren't healthy ones (and hey, I love romance, but some times it's just creepy and downright wrong, like Edward spending every night in Bella's room - I am so surprised that few people I've spoken to have issues with that or even sort of see it from my perspective: that it's creepy). I don't like the type of role models that these characters are inspiring in youth - and having worked with a group of teenage girls for the past half year, I saw it firsthand how these girls live, eat, breathe the Twilight world. I'm so sad to see it because there is such a wealth of literature out there that is superior in every sense of the word to these books.

If these books could be appreciated at a level appropriate to their quality (ie - not so highly), then I might not be tempted as much to label them as trash.

I'll be curious to see if you continue the series. I wish I had stopped at book two...but then again, your commentary on the books is so enjoyable (finally, someone who shares my views!) that I kind of hope you'll finish them. I read them in hopes they would redeem themselves. I doubt you hold any similar delusion. I think I wanted to believe that the author could somehow make it better. Instead, she somehow made it worse.

Istari the Angel said...

I'm glad we agree on this, it seems that in terms of literature we don't often agree. I did get the third one, because a part of me I'm ashamed to admit exists is kind of curious about the story and exactly what happens, though I know most of the rest of the grisly details. Anyway, I only wanted to link this website, which I was reading as I decided to start Twilight. The author is known as the Hogwarts Professor, and wrote a series of posts comparing the Twilight Craze to the Harry Potter craze in terms of all sorts of different things, including articles and comments from other popular authors such as Orson Scott Card and Stephen King. http://hogwartsprofessor.com/ You don't have to join the site to read, only if you want to comment.

Jenna said...

The lady is kind of irritating in the way she writes. I read the whole series, I think it is the lack of truly intimate scenes that really drives me over the edge though.

I mean when it is a spot where they should have sex they don't.

Roxanne Ocasio said...

Well nee-chan, I suppose I have neglected to read your blog recently (even though this post is old). My apologies.

I actually quit reading after the first book (though I wound up buying the second book with all intentions of reading it). I watched the first movie out of sheer curiosity, and the second one because my friends were going and I was bored.

My niece just got into the series. She's 10, and definitely does NOT need to be reading things like Twilight. That's too impressionable of an age to be reading garbage like Bella's inner monologues about how incomplete and undeserving she is. When I was 10 I read mysteries and imaginative stories, not some watered down romance novels.

I was initially interested in the series for the sci-fi stuff, like you were. I was extremely disappointed. If I wanted that much teenage drama, I'd sit in a HS girls' restroom for a day. The books aren't even valuable as literature, like Kate said, and there are so many more books that are fantastic reads for the younger crowd. I had a conversation once with someone that so many books written today are written with MOVIE DEAL in mind. :(

I think something should be said about Charlie, Bella's dad. I found him pretty likable (more so in the movie).