Monday, February 23, 2009

Promised Update on My Trip

As promised, here's a fun update on what's been going on since last time I blogged.

I've started my new job, working with a very rambunctious and rowdy little boy in kindergarten. It's an emotionally stressful job, because he can be really difficult, but it's also rewarding to know that I'm already having a positive impact. I have a pretty no-nonsense approach to him and his issues, and even though he doesn't like it, he's already realizing I'm the boss and responding well. Even his teachers are commenting that he's doing better with me watching him. Before this he wouldn't do any classwork at all, and will still probably flunk kindergarten, but now he's doing work every day, and daily progress reports to mom where he rewards himself with stars when I write down good behavior are a big part of that. He's also learning to sit still and behave himself in the classroom, even though that can be a struggle. I think the biggest problem was that his previous BMS worker wasn't firm enough and tried too hard to be a friend. I think it frustrates him that when he says things like "I don't like you." I tell him I don't care. Whether he likes me or not, he's got to learn to behave himself, and I'm there to stay.

I celebrated my 25th birthday by starting my new job last Tuesday. It's a bit odd to think of my birthday and that I'm a quarter of a century old, but really, it wasn't too big a deal.I didn't do anything too special either. We'd had a birthday party the previous weekend at my uncle's house, so my mum made lasagne for me for supper, and at TKD the students sang Happy Birthday to me.

The biggest news on this blog is concerning my trip to Colorado Springs to spend some time with friends. I had a great time, but I also had some interesting issues. I started reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, and quite frankly I don't care for it at all. Bella and her insecurities and whining are irritating, and Edward, for how cute and protective and whatever else he is, is a controlling jerk a lot of the time too, and the writing was terrible. And yet, I'm curious to see what happens next, and whether she ever becomes a vampire like she was moaning about at the end of the last book and the beginning of the next. My friend described it accurately as "book-crack" and I can definitely see why it appeals to a certain age group. Very possibly because of my surroundings (I was the only single in a group of couple friends who were being rather disgustingly cute with each other) the book brought out a lot of emotions I haven't thought about in quite a long time. I'm a bit ashamed and frustrated that a book like this one could reduce me to such a thing, since it was like a replay of all the worst relationship issues of high school. Meh.

The trip itself though was great, though I think I'd like to drive and have more control over the car next time. I hate being reliant on others for transportation. I got to see Brian and Sami, we stayed at Ella's house (I love spending time with her, she's so much fun) I got to spend an afternoon with Philip, which was pleasurably spent geeking out, and I got to give my campus minister, who is still a very dear friend, a little gift. We went out for fondue, played Munchkin and Bibliomancy (hilarious results there, you basically pick any book and flip through it pointing to words at random and trying to construct meaningful sentences, and we played with the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Twilight, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) and I spent entirely too much money, got a lot of new books and a few other things, gifts for friends included. I was exhausted when I got home, but it was still a very enjoyable weekend.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I still can't believe you're reading Twilight! What are you thinking? The first is the only book I really liked (the second was okay, but since Bella is such an idiot, how good could it really be?). Oh, I'm actually kind of excited for you to read the last two. They are just so awful. I think what depresses me most is that awful writing like this (I will say that the story was a fun idea and might have been actually good if only it had been better executed and had stronger character development) is what kids are reading these days. I used to laugh when people said our society was becoming more and more illiterate...now I tend to agree. The other thing that irks me is that people love these books beyond reason. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm jealous that I don't get it and don't love the books like everyone else seems to. So. There's my soapbox. I'll be curious to see your comments on goodreads as you complete each book.

Now I'm a little annoyed. You somehow got to reading these books but you won't give Vampire Knight a try. Seriously, if you're willing to read the Twilight series, you *owe* me to read Vampire Knight. It has a similar feel to Twilight with vampires and a love triangle, etc, but it's manga and it's so much better. And it came out first (and is still ongoing - I think there are around 10 volumes in Japan; volume 6 just came out here).

Glad you had a fun trip. And congrats on starting the job! That's great! Finally - I am working on your birthday present, but it's been frustrating me so much I've had to start over 3 times. I'm still not happy with it, so it might be a while. Sorry!

Istari the Angel said...

No one got me to read Twilight, and I was going to post a separate blog about it after I finished the second book, which I'm working on now, but I guess I can start here. I just decided that I don't want to be one of those people who says they don't like it without having actually read it. And as far as I can tell, my friend's label of it as "book-crack" is accurate. The writing was horrible (every time I heard about Edward's crooked smile I wanted to scream) and Bella and Edward irritated me to no end. I agree that the idea had potential, but that it didn't really go anywhere because of poor writing. And as far as VK, I don't remember ever telling you I wouldn't read it, just that I wasn't terribly interested in the subject matter. I may or may not give it a try sometime, but for right now as far as manga goes I'm working on One Piece.

I also agree completely with your soapbox, I don't understand what's so gripping about these books, they're horribly written, the female lead is helpless by herself and still manages to complain when she attains what every high school girl actually wants, and the male lead is a controlling cryptic jerk. It was way too close to real high school for my enjoyment, the only characters I really liked in any sense were Emmett and Carlisle. Alice and Esme were ok, but also kind of flat. Emmett cracked me up. I just really hope that I can teach my kids to have better taste.

No rush on my birthday gift, btw, I still don't have everything I wanted to send to Daniel yet either. I got him part of it this weekend, some books, but I still want to get him that lunchbox I mentioned, just waiting for my first paycheck next week to order it.