Thursday, February 7, 2008

The End of Training, Birthdays, and Retreat

So yeah...this week marks the end of training for the new program at my job and hopefully the end of my desire to strangle my coworkers with piano wire. I dunno if it's just me, but when I'm surrounded by stupid, inane people who gossip and giggle through the day I get really frustrated with the state of the world. So many people who don't seem to use their brains in the slightest should probably create some kind of vacuum that would destroy the world, if there was any justice. One of many reasons I miss school. I miss the intellectual atmosphere instead of gossip about who is sleeping with who and who said what to who and whose kid did what. A lot of these girls are the ones who either had kids in high school or immediately after high school and never left, so the mentality to me is very closed. I'm making it my goal to get rid of my bills and save up to go to school as quickly as possible. With any luck, if my plans go right, I want to go to Oxford. In the meantime though, expenses pile up. This month is heavy on birthdays, my mum, my sister, and my grandpa, not to mention a few friends. I just ordered a flower arrangement for mum (split cost with my sister) and a very expensive birthday present for my sister. For spending $164 on her, she better get me something cool. But I also know I'll get money for my birthday. Nothing major that I want, some new books, so I'll have plenty saved. My rule is that once it goes into the Savings account, unless it's really a desperate case, like bills, it doesn't get touched.

I'm also glad I have somewhere to go for my birthday this year. I don't have a lot of friends left here at home, so aside from my family, who I love, I wouldn't get to hang out much with people my own age. But thankfully there was an open spot for our school Catholic community retreat, so I can drive up there to spend the weekend with my friends. I miss feeling a part of a community, as I mentioned before, but if I were to go back up to the Springs I would probably feel just as at home going to St. Mary's as I would going to Shove. I'm also looking forward to our retreat topic, since we're discussing the Mass, and it should be fairly low-key. Very relaxing.
Oh yeah...and I'm very annoyed with the post office. Second time they've sent back my friend's Christmas gift, and this time it was damaged. If it survives, it'll be a miracle if he gets it in time for his birthday in June, and even more so if it's in one piece. This time, when I send it again, I'm using UPS. Screw the post office if they can't even deliver a simple little package after two tries.

2 comments:

Kate said...

It seems like the high school mentality doesn't leave certain people, doesn't it?

Wow, you're generous with birthday presents! We got Daniel's in the mail today, but we told him he can't open it until next week. He can hardly wait! Thank you so much. :)

Istari the Angel said...

Wow, the present came quick, glad to know you got it. I'm happy to send the gifts, you've been such a great friend to me.

Yeah...that's one of the reasons I don't want to get stuck here, I don't want to get caught back up in that life of gossip. Everyone in this town talks behind everyone else's back, and that leaves me an outcast most of the time anyway, because I don't like to do it. I know plenty of people talked about me behind my back though. Oh well.