Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Voting Confusion and Snow

Hmm...I had an interesting day. Skipped work because the snow was frankly nasty and by a lucky coincidence, was able to vote in the caucus since I wasn't at work. If I'd gone to work today I wouldn't have gotten off work and TKD until 7:30 or so, and wouldn't have made it to vote. I got teased unmercifully by my dad and uncles and pretty much told off by my grandfather for my voting choice, but I'm pretty certain I made the right choice for the candidate who will best address the issues that concern me most. I was actually very confused by the whole thing, since no one ever explained to me how a lot of this works. I'm not a big fan of politics in general, so I'm not exactly the best person to ask for advice, but I know enough to make a coherent decision, I think. I was more confused about things like how often one would have to register to vote. I did when I turned 18, with no question, and voted by absentee ballot through college, but wasn't sure if I had to like, re-register or something, so I was quite relieved to know that I was still registered in our district when I went tonight. Maybe this is one of the things I fell asleep for in US Government, but really, young voters should be educated on the process so they aren't as confused as I am. I'm also really realizing now the political differences in viewpoint between myself and the majority of my family. Every so often I hear them make comments that make me cringe...not that they're naive or anything, but they say things that show me they're somewhat narrow-minded. I've always been the most liberal of my family, but it still hurts to hear them say things like that sometimes. My sister is their little pet, she says what they want to hear, but I always preferred to think for myself.

2 comments:

Top Gun said...

Note to self: don't make political-related comments in Istari's presence, lest she cringe unmercifully. :p

Hilary said...

My family leans toward the right and my wife's to the left, and while they get along very well together, I live in constant fear of that inadvertent comment...

Cool blog, by the way.