Monday, February 11, 2008

Someone Special




Now that I've stopped being lazy and finally uploaded my Christmas pictures, I can finally share the ones of someone really special in my life: my godson. Lucas is five years old, and although he was an unexpected surprise in our family, he's really special to all of us, because we recognize how lucky we are to have him. I was so honored when my cousin asked me to baptize him, and my uncle and I worked hard to pick his middle name, which ended up being Alejandro. I love spending time with him and playing with him and talking to him about how his life is. He loves cars, trains, and basically anything with wheels, is a very typical, active, lively little boy, and very bright. He has a mechanical mind and likes to figure out how things work. Until recently his life revolved around Thomas the Tank Engine, but now he's getting into Cars, Spiderman, Hotwheels, and fourwheelers. He's also in pre-K and learning how to read, and I want to encourage him as much as I can. Books are something I will never deny buying for a child, especially him. I also want to do the best I can to set a good example and teach him spiritually, since that's what I agreed to do when I agreed to be his godmother. I want him to grow up knowing and loving God, and knowing that God loves him too. I was so happy when I was in Japan to hear from my aunt that his nightly prayers, immediately following his bedtime story, included "...and please take care of my nina far away in Japan." Not that he knows where or what Japan is, but I brought him back a Japanese picture dictionary, and he was thrilled to hear and learn words in Japanese. I was excited about that, though we'll see how long the interest sticks. A five-year-old attention span is pretty variable. Anyway, also wanted to share some pictures of him from Christmas. I really do love him.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I've heard so much about Lucas that it's so nice to see who he is. It's wonderful that you're such a strong and important influence in Lucas' life.

Istari the Angel said...

I try to be...I love my little hito, and I want to see him grow up to be the best person he possibly can. I tell him every time I see him that I love him and that he's important to me. It frustrates me that my aunt isn't raising him Catholic, but she still has him going to a nondenominational Christian school, so he's learning about Jesus, so when he gets older he can decide what church works best for him to follow Jesus through.