Sunday, March 9, 2008

Books

The last few days I've been seeking refuge from the world in books. I had to go renew my library card, because I lost my old one ages ago and hadn't used it while I was in college because I had the college library to work with. I've also been building my collection, as always, since I feel you can never have too many books. I've always loved to read, loved being so absorbed in a story that I can look up and realize that hours have passed and not regret it. My favorite genre is fantasy, and even as a small child I loved finding different worlds to explore. Narnia, Discworld, Redwall, Middle-Earth, Hogwarts, you name it. As I got older I started to appreciate history and biography as well, and some religious books intrigue me. Reading is soothing, an escape from the drudgery or frustration or stress of the world outside. I get so involved and engaged in my favorite books, I'd love to have been born an Elf in Middle-Earth, or a mouse in Redwall Abbey, or even a witch on the Discworld. I've speculated with friends about what it would be like to go to Hogwarts, and even the anthropological uniqueness of the wizarding world. I used to have hours of conversation about literature with my friends in school, and I miss that so much. Thus my desire to become a professor of literature, so I can share that love with others and engage students in the same stimulation that has always appealed to me about reading. So comforting to have people who understand that. I also wish I could buy books from the library, on a side note. There's just something about the smell of old paper and the feel of library binding under my fingers. I'd love to find a reason to be able to read for a living.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

You'd like Schieska's job, huh? (I can never spell her name right...) Gotta admit that reading for a living would be fun. Check that, reading for pleasure for a living would be fun. I already read for a living... just not for pleasure.

Kate said...

Ha! I was just thinking of Schieska, too.

A friend just emailed me a comprehensive list (a little more than 70 pages in a word document) of recommended young adult literature. While typically I don't read a lot of young adult novels (my bookgroup has started to change that a little with all the Newberry award winning books that we've read), it is nice to have a list to refer to. I've chosen a handful of books from the list already that I intend to check out at the library on Wednesday. Reading really is a joy. I can never understand people who say that they don't like to read. They must not have read the right books because there is something for everyone. Glad you've found a little bit of zen in reading. :)

Anne Bean said...

hmm...how does one become a book reviewer?

Istari the Angel said...

I dunno, but that would be an awesome job. I think you have to get started in some form of freelance journalism, just submitting reviews to various papers and magazines and seeing if they'll take them. At the very least I wouldn't mind being like, a proofreader to make money, but I dunno if that would be enough money to keep my plans in motion.

Jenna said...

I bet you could make a reasonable amount being a proof reader and it is something you can do on the side. Also being an SAT essay grader I have heard pays reasonably well, I don't know what it takes to become one. I would just google it.