Saturday, September 13, 2008

Tooth Extraction Ho!

The official date has been announced. I'm going to get my wisdom teeth taken out on September 25th. I had my consultation, and while it's not super emergency urgent, they would like to get them out as quick as possible. I only have the lower two, but they're impacted, and the doctor wants to get them out before I end up with any cavities on my other teeth below the gum line. They gave me the full list of pre- and post-op instructions. It's kind of scary and unnerving to think about, though I did opt to be knocked completely out. I learned that the bottom teeth are harder to remove and often have to be broken to be removed. I don't think I want to be awake to know that they're breaking apart pieces of my head and yanking them out. They told me about how they'll knock me out, through an IV, which should be interesting. Last time they tried to put in an IV, when I got in a car accident, the idiot paramedic tried both hands and an elbow before we got to the hospital and gave up. I'm also gonna be stuck on a liquid diet for a couple days, which should be interesting. Lots of jell-o, yogurt, pudding, and shakes. They also terrorized me with the stories of things like dry sockets...I'll have to be careful to not mess with them too much. Anyway, wish me luck, and don't be surprised if I get in a drunken blog post while I'm knocked out from the narcotics following the surgery.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Ah, you'll be fine!

My only advice: do not try to eat chips until your gums are completely healed. Not only are chips kind of sharp, the salt hurts! Yes, I was an idiot and found out the hard way. What was I thinking? I don't know.